Friday, January 31, 2014

Book Review - Chasing God by Angie Smith

Chasing God

"Maybe you’ve never asked the question out loud, but you’ve wondered. You do the things that look good on paper: read your Bible, pray, attend study groups and go to church on Sundays.

But you aren’t convinced you really know Him."





That is the question that compelled me to pick up this book.   
Do I really know HIM?

Angie Smith is a popular blogger, writer and speaker and she takes on this huge, challenging question borne out of her own struggles to do this 'christian life' right.

Let me tell you a  a funny story first. After Christmas holidays a young friend was at my house for a visit. She sat on my couch that afternoon and noticed this book on my coffee table next to my bible and journal. In a slightly disgusted voice she said to me, "You aren't really reading this book, are you?"

I asked her if she was familiar with the book or the author.

She said, "No, but you shouldn't be chasing God. He already caught you."

Ahh, through the mouth of babes, He will be revealed.

Angie Smith's book is written in a very casual, friendly manner. She uses sarcasm and witty banter and of course a real bare-hearted approach to teaching. It was a fun and inspiring read.

If you are looking for a book that will take a microscopic look at our feeble attempts and inevitable failures this is it. Not as an attack on how we are failing, but as a reminder that we are simply focusing in the wrong direction. 

Smith strips our purpose down to the basics of reading scripture and clinging to the simplicity of it. The whole christian life isn't about striving for anything! It is about following, obeying, surrendering and resting in Him. 

The best part of the book for me was the way Angie Smith spoke in an intelligent, gentle and humourous way, as a friend who has been there, done that. She opened my eyes to areas where I'd been chasing God instead of loving God. Overall I highly recommend this book. There was no down side for me at all. 

So, grab a copy of Angie's book. Grab a coffee and a comfortable chair. Don't forget your pencil, Bible and extra paper because this book will change the way you do life.

Thanks to the author and Icon Media Group for a chance to review this book free of charge. This is my honest opinion. I was not required to review it favorably.


No comments:

Post a Comment