Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Changing the world one person at a time - or more?

Have you noticed there is a flood of kids out there changing the world?

I spoke at a camp this summer and using the movie tie-in of The Hobbit, I tried to convince a group of middle-schoolers that being small or young isn't an excuse. I gave them many examples of kids changing the world.


There are so many examples out there. Maybe there is a kid in your own home who is doing this too! (I'm thinking of you Benjamin!)

Recently I watched a fantastic movie called Little Red Wagon. It is the story of another such boy, Zach Bonner from the USA who did exactly that. The movie tells of how this young boy got started and how before he knew it he was running a charity foundation helping thousands upon thousands of needy children.

The bottom line is God is stirring the hearts of young people all over our world to make a difference. They are being challenged to start small impacting lives of people around them and then letting God take the reins of where He wants it to go. 

I really liked that the movie told a well-rounded story. Not just the facts of the boy and his journey but the ups and downs of a family trying to live out their lives together. There is no real mention or attention given to the faiths/beliefs of this family and I have not been able to ascertain if they are christian. However they are doing an amazing thing for God says 
"Defend the cause of the weak and the fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked." Psalm 82:3
And there is no doubt that is what Zach is doing!

There are a few language issues in the movie to be aware of - a lippy teenager, basically. However I still believe it is a very family friendly movie to watch. But beware ... you might want to get off your couch and do something amazing after watching it!

Check out an interview with Zach and also the dove foundation review.

Movie can be purchased at Walmart.


1 comment:

  1. I'm way behind in reading your blogs:(!!....but I was not expecting to sit down today to catch up & have you bring me to tears!! I will definitely read this to Benjamin & we will watch the movie together!!

    ReplyDelete