Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Is Halloween Happy?

The Halloween Debate and where I stand as a pastor. 
(This post was written by my husband and appeared first on his facebook page. Copied here with permission.)

The following are my thoughts and not the ideas of my church, denomination or my leadership team.


Many people have asked me to tell them my thoughts on Halloween. At first I hesitate so that no one is offended but, for some reason, I decided to honestly write down my ideas and thoughts about Halloween.

"I do not actively take part in Halloween but I have never had an issue with dressing up and having fun." That may be a safe statement but it is truly how I feel.

When I was a child I did the whole trick or treat thing and really had a lot of fun. My costumes were homemade and I went out and begged for candy from our neighbors - with no reservation. I had no reason to think that Halloween was a holiday that should be avoided.

Fast-forward to my Bible School years and I was presented with some really interesting facts about Halloween. I discovered that this day has some roots that did not involve a dentist. It has a pagan history connected with the ancient Celtic holiday Samhain. You don't have to send me links to expound on the history because I have heard it all as I have done my homework. I know the roots and understand them fully. I also know that 700 years ago Christians tried to hijack this day and bring it back to Christ. This is a day, in my mind, that has a history. Good or evil, I am not scared of it nor am I an endorser of it. It is just another day.

As I ponder on this day, I can truly understand if you are against participating in anything associated with Halloween. I also fully understand if you want to have fun and send your kids out. It is really not that big of an issue for me.

Why is it not an issue? Because, "This is the day that the Lord made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." I choose to look at Halloween, not as a special day or a cursed day, but a day filled with opportunity. A day that Jesus can be lifted high, just like any other day.

I love that our Kids Club Leader and our Youth Pastor are planning a Harvest Carnival to give kids in our community the opportunity to have good, safe fun in an evil world. I love how families may choose to spend time together instead of embracing this holiday. I love how parents walk with their kids and spend time together - even as they are going door to door. What a great opportunity to speak into the lives of our families as questions are asked and answers are given. 

We live in a fallen world, not just on Halloween but every day of the year. My attitude will not change just because of a pumpkin. 

So I ask you this, what are you going to do on October 31, a day the Lord has given to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment