Saturday, December 8, 2012

Changing perspective

Sorry to all my faithful followers for my hiatus from this blog. Unfortunately I had a huge interruption in my life and it required a little stepping back and refocusing time.

Have you ever had to do that?


My husband and I recently returned from a brief visit to Toronto Ontario.  I had never been that far East before so we flew there to check it out.  Of course, we visited the famous CN Tower.  It was incredible.  The view was spectacular looking out over Lake Ontario one way and over the downtown core the other.

We had spent the day walking through the downtown area seeing so many unique places and amazing architechure.  So naturally we wanted to see if we could find the same places from the CN Tower lookout.  It wasn't too hard to locate our hotel and a couple large buildings we had seen.  However, many of the sights we saw while walking the streets were very hard to find at 346 meters (1,136 ft) high.

Perspective is everything.

A person's perspective can change how they act, talk or react to a given situation.  Take the example of a car accident.  Perhaps there were two people involved in the accident and three witnesses.  You will still have five different and separate perspectives of what happened.  And sometimes the stories don't even sound like the same event.

Also, within the life of a believer we often encounter the difference of a worldly perspective and a heavenly one.  They are very different and can sometimes be opposites.  This is where I found myself this last few months.  An event happened in my life that affected everything.  I had to figure out which perspective I would view it - with my eyes or His?

My eyes told me I had rights.  What happened to me was the fault of someone else and I could retaliate.  No one would question my actions in doing so.  It was the "right" thing to do.  All the people we asked for advice from said the same thing.

Yet something didn't feel right to me.  Sure, I could use the courts to turn things in my favour, because the other person had clearly done wrong.  But something within me hestitated.  It wasn't until I was reading and studying a portion of scripture for a novel I'm writing that I found the words of God's perspective.

Committ your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.  Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret - it leads only to evil. For evil men will be cut off, but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.  Psalm 37:5-9.
In the story I'm writing, my character has to learn that when God says "venegence is mine" - He means it.  God's persepctive is ALWAYS different from mine.  ALWAYS.  I guess I have to learn the same lesson.  Instead of finding a way to retaliate I need to find a way to forgive.

If you have found yourself in a situation where you are certain you are right but God is pressing pause on your heart listen to one of my favorite songs.  Lyrics here.







No comments:

Post a Comment