Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Book Review - Submerged by Dani Pettrey


Submerged is book #1 in the Alaskan Courage series. It’s the story of Cole McKenna and Bailey Craig.

A sabotaged plane. Two dead deep-water divers. One single clue.
Submerged by Author Dani PettreyBailey Craig vowed never to set foot in YanceyAlaska, again. She has a past, and a reputation--and Yancey's a town that doesn't forget. She's returned only to bury a loved one killed in the plane crash, but then dark evidence emerges and Bailey's own expertise becomes invaluable for the case.

Cole McKenna can face dangerous rescue dives. He can face the fear a murderer may be threatening his town. But facing the reality of Bailey's reappearance is a tougher challenge. She broke his heart... but doesn't seem to be the same girl who left Yancey ten years ago. And he's not the same guy she left behind.

Racing against the clock and a rising body count, Bailey and Cole must move beyond the hurts of their pasts to work together until the truth of what is hidden in the depths finally surfaces.



Dani Pettrey does a fantastic job of her debut book.  I was mesmerized by it.  Once I started I couldn't put it down - finishing it off in two days and nearly missing work too!

Her characters are lovely - Bailey has a tarnished past that Pettrey paints in colour with only a few words.  McKenna is the boy who could've/ should've saved her back then but didn't.  God is so good with giving second chances, even when we aren't sure we want them.  I would have liked to see more of the redemption portion of the story.  It was beautifully done - showing Bailey finally ready to fully accept God's love but as a reader (and a believer) I wanted to see more about this. (Maybe in her next book?)

Pettrey has a wonderful secondary cast too.  I loved the story in the background of Piper and Landon.  I am hoping they are the main characters for book 2.  (I heard book #2 takes place in British Columbia!!)

In the beginning chapters, I struggled to keep the characters in my head straight.  The McKenna clan is big (and there are always a couple 'hanger-arounders', like Jake and Landon). Pettrey did a great job of given each their own flavour - but I still found myself confused at times.  That might not be everyone's experience though.

The plot is filled with wonderful hooks to keep you guessing, interspersed with snippets of down time to take it all in. The Russian history is a plus that I enjoyed.  I would have learned more if it had been scattered through out the book instead of all given at the climax of the story.  I wanted to see the resolution so much that I didn't take the time to absorb it.  Maybe on my second read.

Overall I found the book to be a real treat - like when I was handed a Bernard Callebaut chocolate bar just for being in the right place at the right time.  Only they both were over too quickly :)

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".
  


Dani Pettrey participated in a Debutantes Soiree a few nights ago, celebrating with three other debut authors.  It was an interesting and fun evening.  I blogged about it here.  (If you did not attend the online party, you can watch it here. Thanks Rel, for the link.) For even more fun you can try these links:




Check it all out, or go buy the book.  It can be found at Amazon US, Amazon Canada, Barnes & Noble, Christianbooks.com, Bookamillion, and Chapters/indigo.

One last item for your enjoyment...
I had blogged about this song awhile back but there were no official videos of it at that time.  Until today.  Mercy Me released the video for The Hurt and The Healer today on Godtube.  Check it out.

I figured it was a perfect fit to the story of Bailey and Cole.  So enjoy ...



MercyMe - The Hurt and The Healer (Official Music Video) from mercymemusic on GodTube.




2 comments:

  1. Oooh...that looks like a book I'd enjoy:)
    Love the song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, the book was excellent. Eileen will have it in the library as soon as she gets back from her trip! :)

    ReplyDelete