Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hungry for the right answer

There is a struggle in my home.  Currently it is me against my teens.  They want to see Hunger Games in the theatres.  I am undecided.

Maybe there are some of you out there who have gone to see the movie already.  I have been reading reviews everywhere form folks who have seen it.  I am still undecided.

My kids have read the novels and been anxiously anticipating the arrival of the film.  To be honest I hadn't given it much thought at that point.  We are a family that LOVES movies so it only seemed natural that we would see the film.  However ... we seldom go to the big theatres anymore - unless it is the cheap one.  So naturally in the back of my mind I assumed we would wait with this one as well.  However my teens had made plans to see it opening night.

Here presents two dilemmas for me.  

Number 1 - we had no idea  what the film actually contained in it. I rely consistently on Plugged In (dot) com to provide me with reviews.  They hadn't released it yet.  I struggled to justify seeing the movie the first night without that valuable information.  

Number 2 - I have boasted on this blog before of the need to stand up and support movies in the theatres as Christians because those are the numbers that count.  Hollywood needs those dollars that represent viewers to know which types of movies to make again.  I urged all of you to go out and see October Baby in the theatres for that very reason.


Going to watch a violent 'kids killing kids' movie didn't seem the best place to put my movie dollars.  Due to the indecision in our home we have managed to push the issue back six days so far, but not without casualties.  Now I have angry, frustrated teenagers.  I am still undecided.

When as a parent do we stop filtering images and information for our kids?  Do they reach a magic age?  Or maybe just the 'right' opportunity comes along, like a movie?  Or maybe is it when the heat in the home rises too high?


I am still undecided ....






F.Y.I.
The box office results are in!

Hunger Games takes the top spot (obviously) grossing over $155 million on its opening weekend.  Wall Street Journal states,
The box office gross of "The Hunger Games" is the third-highest opening weekend, behind “Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2″ and “The Dark Knight.”
It’s also the highest opening of all time for a non-sequel movie. No movie has ever had as large an opening weekend outside of the summer season.
October Baby did very well considering it had to compete with Hunger Games, which opened in more than 10 times as many theatres. 
October Baby had the third highest per-screen average and closed at No. 8 in the nation for its opening weekend ... Opening in a relatively modest 390 theaters, Samuel Goldwyn Films/Provident Films OCTOBER BABY also rode strong grassroots support and word of mouth to a No. 1 ranking for limited-release movies.




To learn more, visit:  OctoberBabyMovie.net
                                    ProvidentFilms.org
                                    SamuelGoldwynFilms.com

Facebook:   Facebook.com/OctoberBabyMovie

Twitter:        @OctoberBabyFilm
                

And visit OctoberBabyMovie.net/pressroom 


Did any of you get out to see October baby?  I would love to hear your comments.





No comments:

Post a Comment