Thursday, February 9, 2012

Hold on tight!

Can you name a movie where there is a dangerous dangling scene?  You know, a scene where someone is hanging off some precipice somewhere holding on for dear life.  Then, if that were not enough drama, they have someone hanging on to them; like a chain of dangling people.


My devotions this morning prompted an image in me that I may never forget.  It is so vivid and profound.  Yet, it was not sparked by a scripture solely.  It is connected closely to a sermon, and a scene in the movie The 5th Quarter (I wrote about yesterday) and an experience from my own life.

Let's break it down one by one.

THE MOVIE: The scene from the movie involves the mom and dad who lost their son and the mom's sister.  Each family member is hurting from the loss and trying to pick up the pieces - alone.

Sister in law:  You need to go to therapy with her.
Husband:  I can't do that.
Sister in Law:  You need to.  It's important.
Husband:  Look.  It's not something I can do.  It won't help me to sit around talking to a stranger about Luke.  It's not how I deal with things.
Sister in Law:  It's not about you.  It's about her.  She's in real trouble here.  She needs you now.  Not next week.  Not next month.  She needs you now.
Husband:  I can't even take care of myself.  How am I supposed to take care of her and everybody else?

Then the husband turns to his hurting wife and says:  I'm sorry.  I just don't have any generosity left in my soul.

*************

THE SERMON:  This last Sunday my husband spoke on Men and their roles as Warrior.  He challenged the men to stand for something important and fight for it.  Hopefully, that 'something important' they pick is their families.  We are in a battle today and it often looks like Satan is winning as the foundation of the family is dying.  The price we are paying is too high.  We need men to stand up and take their role seriously and FIGHT.  (The movie Courageous deals with this spectacularly if you want to know more.)  This is not pick on the guys day - honest!  I just believe very strongly in the call that men have to be the head of the home.  My husband has a different role in our home than I do.  It is just that simple.  (Don't worry ... in a few weeks he is speaking on the call of the woman.)

*************


MY LIFE:  When I was about thirteen years old my parents split. The strangest part for me was I had never witnessed a single fight between my parents before the night that the rug was pulled out from under us.  But that one fight was so bad my siblings and I escaped the house in the middle of the night to hang out in a safe place - the school playground.  Everything we knew and understood to be true was shredded that night.  Suddenly there was no foothold.  There was no place to hold on to.  It felt like a free fall without a hand to hold.

**************

THE IMAGE IN MY MIND: See if you can picture this with me.  A cliff.  A dark, black hole below that seems to have no end.  One minute you are standing on the edge then the next you are thrown over the side.  In scenario one (like my life and the movie), everyone decides at that moment it is every man, woman and child for himself.  They each begin clawing for something to grab onto - something to slow the ascent into the darkness. It becomes a fight.  There is pushing and scrambling to keep oneself safe.  But instead you have five ( or whatever number) people falling into the darkness - alone.

Or take scenario two, the same set-up as before but this time, one brave soul grabs onto the edge AND another person, forming a chain.  The strength of the one holding the side is testing beyond measure.  Their muscles are bulging in strain and they fear they will not be able to hold on.  But they resolve to not give up.  I WILL NEVER LET GO.  

Can you picture the movie scene in your head now.  (Maybe you pick The Day after Tomorrow, Die Hard, Titanic or Cliffhanger - which ever one you want.)  Sometimes the hero fails and the loved one drops and sometimes he succeeds and everyone survives.  Here is the catch.  Here is the moment that brings it all together.  In our journey with God we are never holding on alone.
The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior
      my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. 
   He is my shield, the power that saves me
      and my place of safety
  I called on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, 
      and he saved me from my enemies.

  The ropes of death entangled me; 
      floods of destruction swept over me. 
  The grave wrapped its ropes around me; 
      death laid a trap in my path. 
  But in my distress I cried out to the LORD; 
      yes, I prayed to my God for help. 
   He heard me from his sanctuary; 
      my cry to him reached his ears. Ps 18: 2-6


  He reached down from heaven and rescued me

      he drew me out of deep waters. 
  He rescued me from my powerful enemies, 
      from those who hated me and were too strong for me. 
  They attacked me at a moment when I was in distress, 
      but the LORD supported me
  He led me to a place of safety; 
      he rescued me because he delights in me. 
  The LORD rewarded me for doing right; 
      he restored me because of my innocence. 
  For I have kept the ways of the LORD; 
      I have not turned from my God to follow evil. 
  I have followed all his regulations; 
      I have never abandoned his decrees. 
  I am blameless before God; 
      I have kept myself from sin. 
  The LORD rewarded me for doing right. 
      He has seen my innocence. Ps 18: 16-24


If these words encouraged you, then turn to Psalm 18 in your bible and read all of David's words.  They will inspire you to fight the good fight; hold on tightly to those you love, and NEVER, NEVER let go.  

No one ever said it would be easy.  But God says it is not impossible - with Him.

Today I pray for all of us, but especially my man and your man that he will hold on tight ... with God's help.


Leave me a comment if you can think of any other good 'dangling' scenes from movies.





2 comments:

  1. What a great truth you have so eloquently explained. Thanks, Jodi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen & amen my friend:) I needed to hear this today.

    ReplyDelete