Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Be strong and courageous.

The Lord gave it as a command.  Not a suggestion.  Not a really good way to tackle your life.  But simply a command.

Be courageous.

Do not fear.

Take courage.

Don't let your hearts be troubled.

Do not be alarmed.

These are all scripture quotes.  If you want to know where I will list them at the end of the post.  The bottom line here is that God wasn't joking around.  He said 'be courageous' . . . so do it.

Oh, if life in Christ was only so easy.  I heard you sigh.  I did too.
Why would God command us to do something that seems so difficult to do?  A couple dear friends and I are embarking on the Max Lucado book FEARLESS.  So far he has laid out many of my fears and reminded me of some I had forgotten.  However I am certain he will not leave me hanging here by my proverbial last thread.  As I get further in (past chapter three) I hope to glean the key - the secret - to courage.

Only I am not so sure it will ever be that easy.  As my girlfriends and I sit around and work through the study our eyes are opening up to how prevalent fear is in our lives.  It seeps from every crevice and saturates every corner.  How did I get here?

Max Lucado says that "fear may fill our world, but it does not have to fill our hearts."  Our Lord Jesus says "for God has not given us a spirit of fear."  (2 Timothy 1:7)  So, what is the answer, my friend?  What do you do with the spirit of fear that creeps inside your heart?

Being as lately I have posted songs for you I will continue on.  As music and lyrics are precious to me - they motivate me, inspire me and cultivate change in me - I hope to share that with you. Coming in September is a movie titled Courageous.  It is by the Kendrick brothers who amazed us with Fireproof, Facing the Giants and Flywheel.  The title track form that movie is by Casting Crowns.  (I am going to see them live next week!!)




Casting Crowns is one of those bands who wow us continuously with lyrics that shoot right to the heart. This song is no exception. Perhaps they have given us the answer. The key. The secret.

Seek justice
Love mercy
Walk on
Be with your God

In the war of the mind
I will make my stand
In the battle of the heart
And the battle of the hand

We were made to be courageous
And we're taking back the fight
We were made to be courageous
And it starts with us tonight

The only way we'll ever stand
Is on our knees, we're lifting hands
Make us courageous
Lord, make us courageous


The battle is in my mind - not my heart. 
It is won on my knees not on my feet.


Micah 6:8
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Romans 12:2
And do not be conformed to this world,
but be transformed by the renewing of your mind,
that you may prove what is that good and acceptable
and perfect will of God.


Max Lucado's book cover asks the million dollar question.

Can you imagine your life without fear?


(Matt 6:25; 9:2; 10:28,31; 14:27; 17:7; 24:6;  Luke 8:50; 12:32; 24:38;  John 14:1, 3, 27  In the gospels there are 125 commands given from Jesus.  Of those, 21 are about fear and courage.  The next most common command is to love God and neighbour - it appears 8 times.  (Interesting facts from Lucado's book, Fearless)



1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see "Courageous":) When are you going to see Casting Crowns? I'm so excited for you!
    That's cool that you're going through Fearless again! When we did it at church I was wishing we could do the whole book. So many of the chapters we skipped were the ones that hit home for me. You've inspired me to pick it up again & try to go through it. Thanks friend:)

    ReplyDelete