Friday, December 30, 2011

Book Review for A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander


A lasting impression is exactly what this book brings.   

A Lasting Impression by Tamera AlexanderThis story takes place in the late 1800’s after the war.  The states are desperate to recover and rebuild and so is Claire Elise Laurent, a young French woman whose past is only a step behind her.  She comes to war-torn Tennessee hoping for a fresh start.  In the Publisher’s words:
“Set at Nashville’s historic Belmont Mansion, A Lasting Impression is a sweeping love story about a nation mending after war, the redemption of those wounded, and the courage of a man and a woman to see themselves – and each other – for who they truly are.”
I thoroughly enjoyed this story.  The history is rich and vibrant along with the characters.  My own knowledge on this time period is lacking but I felt the world Ms. Alexander created of Nashville was stunning.  And the Belmont Mansion is extravagant in description.  She has an amazing ability to string together words providing a masterpiece of the senses.  I loved it.  A link to an excerpt of the story is here.

Alexander covers many themes in this story, such as authenticity and honesty, family backgrounds and social status.  Along with this she exposes a spiritual journey for the main characters that feels real and alive.  The progression of the story is natural.  I really loved the character Claire.  She has a secret that shapes her and molds her decisions leading the reader effortlessly along her journey.

So far in every Alexander book I have read she always leaves a fingerprint on my heart; a word or phrase that changes the soil of my soul.   Tamera always leaves me changed – and challenged.  In the story, the main character faces a question that Tamera herself faced at one time.  Would you still paint (or write or sing or whatever) if you were only painting for Him?  God places desires and talents in us, His children.  He wants us to use those for His kingdom.  That is a question we all must answer at some point in our lives.  That alone is a journey.  I am on that journey myself.  The popular quote often repeated is that every journey begins with a step.  A step of faith often.  Claire had to take one and so do I.  There is a line at the end of the novel that has struck chord within me.  Alexander writes this as closure has come to one issue and Sutton, the hero of the story, is granted a new position at his work.  “Though Claire knew it wasn’t what Sutton wanted to do with his life, it was a step, and every step changed the view.  Who knew what God would bring next?”     Now isn’t that what a spiritual journey is all about?

Have you ever taken a step of faith, not knowing what would happen and then watched the view before your eyes change?  Was God faithful in that step of faith?

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, 
a division of Baker Publishing Group".   
              

1 comment:

  1. I just completed "A Lasting Impression" and loved it. It is lengthy and took me quite awhile to read it [but I must admit I had a lot of interruptions]. Being a Nashville resident, I appreciated the setting of the Belmont mansion and learning about its esteemed owner Adelicia Acklen. The history, the descriptions, the love story, and the Old South were woven together in a beautiful fashion. I highly recommend this historical novel

    ReplyDelete